Recipe: Honey Chamomile Cake with Brown Butter Honey frosting
Chamomile Cake is unique and delicious! The beautiful layer cake features a cake that is infused with chamomile, giving it a delicious sweet spring flavour.
8 - 10
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 teaspoons finely ground chamomile tea leaves from about 3 tea bags, divided
- 5 egg whites will equal to a scant 3/4 cup
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour plus more for dusting pans
- 1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon, baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature and cubed
- 2 tablespoons PURITI honey
To make the cake: Start by flouring, greasing and lining the bottoms of the cake pans with parchment. Set aside.
Pour the milk and honey in a medium saucepan and set it over medium-low heat. Mix 2 teaspoons of chamomile leaves into the milk mixture. Heat the milk until a digital thermometer reads 100 degrees F or until it's warm to the touch (in case you don't have one). Immediately turn off the heat and cover, allowing the tea to steep for about 10 minutes. Run the mixture through a strainer, discarding the used up tea (bits of chamomile leaves might still be in the milk and that's ok!). Whisk in the egg whites. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In the bowl of a stand-up mixer, with the paddle attachment, combine the remaining 3 teaspoons chamomile leaves, cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. At a slow speed, add the cubed butter and mix until it resembles soft crumbs. Add about 1/2 of the milk/egg white mixture and continue beating for about 30 seconds. Add the remaining 1/2 of the milk/egg white mixture and beat for an additional 30 seconds or so, scrape down the sides and give it one last mix.
Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Using a rubber spatula, spread the batter to pan walls, smooth the tops and give the pans a gentle bang on the kitchen counter. Arrange pans at least 3 inches from the oven walls and 3 inches apart (this will help with proper cake circulation, yes this is a thing). Bake until thin skewer or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 23 minutes. (If you're using nine-inch cake pans, the cake might take around 25 minutes to bake, just keep that in mind.)
Let cakes rest in pans for 3 minutes. Loosen from sides of pans with a knife, if necessary, and invert onto wire racks. Reinvert onto additional wire racks. Let cool completely,
BROWN BUTTER HONEY FROSTING:
8oz light cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup PURITI honey
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1. Allow butter and cream cheese to come to room temp
2. Heat butter, stirring occasionally, is sauce pan on medium heat for ~10 minutes until it becomes foamy and just starts getting golden-then remove from heat and let cool
3. Combine cooled butter and remaining ingredients, & whip until fluffy
Photo and Icing: @dirt.pour
Recipe: A Cozy Kitchen