SWEET AND SPICY HONEY GARLIC TOFU
For the tofu:
- 2 (14 ounce) blocks extra firm tofu, cubed and pressed to drain 5-10 minutes
- 1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/ 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/ 2 cup bell peppers, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, for frying
For the sauce:
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/ 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/ 2 tablespoons Puriti Manuka Honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder,
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- In a medium bowl, whisk the garlic, cornstarch, maple syrup, coconut sugar, chili powder, tamari and sesame oil until combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the tofu, cornstarch and salt until evenly coated.
- In a frying pan, heat sesame oil until ripples form and fry the tofu until crisp and golden, rotating as needed, remove when golden and crisp, 8-10 minutes.
- In the same pan, sauté peppers and onions until softened, 5 minutes.
- Add tofu and sauce to the pan and cook until the sauce is slightly thickened and aromatic, 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with a bowl of rice.